Pages

Verse A Day

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Jamie's Medical Update

Thank you to everyone who has called, texted, visited or prayed! I feel the love and support. My friends and family are amazing. God is even more amazing though!

For those who haven't heard, while I was at church on Sunday morning, I experienced some severe dizziness & felt like I was going to pass out. Thankfully I was able to hand Blayke off to a friend before going down on the ground. I don't really remember all of the details, or how long I was down on the ground.  I do remember throwing up a lot, and having no control of my body. I felt like I had a full body epidural. The most amazing part to this craziness, is that I was surrounded by so many people in the medicinal field, so did feel like I was in good hands. Derek rushed me to the ER, and once I got to the ER I was rushed to a room & immediately had a room full of people starting to work on me. 

i honestly thought it was a crazy case of vertigo or a severe migraine mixed with some vertigo, but when the MRI results showed a stroke, we couldn't believe it. I had gotten lots of fluids & mess so when these results came back, I was feeling much better and able to listen & understand what was going on. 

I had NO symptoms prior to this happening. I have had an annoying right sided neck ache for several weeks. It would get worse as the day would go on, and some evenings I was turning my neck like I was 80. It just got annoying to me, and was causing some dull headaches, so I decided to see a chiropractor for the first time. I had that appointment on Friday morning. The doctors suspect that during that neck adjustment, a blood vessel was punctured, which caused a blood clot that traveled to my brain. The part of the brain that has been effected is the area that effects speech, balance, dizziness, etc. I'm so so thankful to report that I have NO side effects from this event. I passed all of my therapy tests with flying colors. 

I have been on Heparin since Sunday. It's a blood thinner. I've gotten poked about 20-30 times as they monitor the levels of the blood thinner in my body. I guess this is a touchy thing, so they want to have my levels just right. Last evening I also started a Coumadin pill, (a blood thinner) which I will continue taking at home for the next 3-6 months. Hopefully at my follow up in 3-6 months, my brain injury will be healed up & I can go off the blood thinner and continue living a normal, healthy life. 

I'm hoping to be discharged from Avera today. I miss my family, my kids & my own bed. I am feeling pretty good, just very very tired which they say is very normal with brain trauma. I had a headache yesterday, but slept pretty well last night & am feeling much better this morning! 

I know many of you have been wondering, some of you are clueless, but figured this little
Blog update was a good way to give everyone an update. We've had many offers to help with the kids, which is a huge help right now. Derek has taken over the family schedule & made arrangements for the kids, rides to practices, etc. I'm looking forward to getting home & resting up. The doctors are very hopeful that in a week or so I will be back to my normal! 

Please continue to pray! Pray all of my other tests come back normal, and there isn't any other health issues that would have caused this. So far the tests are all coming back great! 

Pray I am able to get home today!

Praise God for watching over me! This could have been so much worse. I am so very lucky. 

Thanks friends!

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your whole family Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,
    I just was reading your christmas post yesterday and then saw this post today. So very thankful that God has protected you and been with you these last few scary days. Praying for a full recovery and that you would continue to feel the love and support of family and friends and your church as they help you walk through this.
    Blessings,
    Marisa Maloney (from your old mops table -back in the day)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the message Marisa! I hear you chatted with my mother-in-law recently! I'm feeling well and appreciate all the prayers! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...