Pages

Verse A Day

Monday, September 26, 2011

Word Blocks!

We have had our fireplace for a year and a half now and I still haven't found any decor for the mantel!  I've picked up a few things here and there but as soon as I get it home, set it on the mantel and look at it for a day or two, I end up returning it.  I saw this idea on Pinterest and immediately thought of the empty mantel!  I'm not 100% sure I will end up putting the blocks on the mantel but figure I can always find another spot in the house to set them!

Step 1:  Choose the letter style and size you want.  I do not own a cricket or a printer, so I traced the letter from the computer screen onto a piece of scratch paper and then cut out the letter.  Brilliant I know :)  (Next time I will use card stock paper.  The regular scratch paper was a little flimsy, but it did work.


Step 2:   Cut the board (I used a 2 x 6) to the desired height for the letter size you chose and paint the boards.  Like I said earlier, I do not own a printer, so I also had to paint my letters.



Step 3:  Pick out some coordinating scrapbook paper.  Tear it to fit the block.  I tore the paper rather than cut it so it would had the 'worn' look.  


Step 4:  Mod Podge the back of the scrapbook paper and stick it to the block.  Then you Mod Podge over the paper.  Let it dry.


Step 5:  After the scrapbook paper is done drying, repeat Step 4 with the letters.  I had to use my fingers to work out some bubbles in the paper and letters.

Step 6:  Sand down the edges of the block to give it the weathered look.     

And there ya have it!  This was a fun project and I can't wait to do it again!  I'm thinking of doing some Holiday words (Joy, Fall, Snow) or making Christmas gifts!  This would also be a really neat wedding gift or baby gift!  
On the mantel..
 Or in the kitchen?!

1 comment:

  1. I scrolled to the end to check out the finished product and I like it in the kitchen. It really pops out against the red wall. Looks great! Love the updates to the blog too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...