About 11, I was holding Brigham in the kitchen when he started to cough and then throw up. I panicked. Puke was all over the two of us, the floor, and I had 5 extra little ones very curious about what was going on. Thankfully, I got ahold of Derek immediately and told him to rush home. I then called all the daycare parents, who ALL answered right away, and within 15 minutes the daycare kids were picked up and Derek and I were on our way to the ER. After Brigs threw up, he was still very clingly, but did not cry. He looked very pale to me, and just sort of 'dazed' a bit. A minute or so into the ride to Avera, he started to fall asleep. The nurse I talked with on the phone had me so paranoid about letting him sleep, so I tried talking to him and nudging him to keep him awake.
We got to the ER before 11:30 and were taken back to a room right away. Brigs was alert and awake and really seemed to perk up. There were lots of strange tools and things in the ER room for him to check out. About a half hour later, we were taken back for a CT scan. Poor Brigs did not want to lay still, but what 21 month old would? Poor kid had to be strapped down to a board for the scan. Luckily, he did lay still long enough for them to get the images they needed. About 15 minutes later we were told the CT scan looked fine. They sent us home with instructions on how to care for a concussion.
Brigham ate a little food once we got home, and then took a 2 1/2 hour nap. After his nap, he played and seemed to act ok. I did give him some pain reliever just in case he had any head or neck pain. He slept great through the night too, which was a good sign he was going to be ok. They had warned us in the ER that kids with a severe concussion would be very fussy, and not sleep well because of the pain to the head. We did have to go in and check on him every 3-4 hours during the night, but we did not fully arouse him and wake him up because we were pretty confident he was fine. We just gave him a little nudge to make sure he would squirm around for us.
He acted completely normal yesterday. Right back to climbing and being rambuctious! He pulled a chair over on top of him, and managed to fall off the toliet seat, all before 11! I am overly paranoid now so I feel like I am constantly following him around to make sure he isn't up to something!
It was very hard to see Brigham hurting. I just had that gut feeling that something wasn't right all morning, but I didn't want to rush him in if he snapped out of it. You feel so helpless as a parent when you can't make them feel better. As I stood back to watch Derek and the nurses holding him down for the CT scan as he screamed and squirmed, I stood and prayed to God that everything would turn out ok. I also thanked God for two (normally) healthy children, as I couldn't imagine a hospital setting as a daily or weekly occurence. One more thing to be so incredibly thankful for this holiday season!
Brigs dozing off an hour or so after the fall.
In the ER waiting on results. Perked up and saying 'cheese' for the camera!
Weight: 22.6 pounds with a diaper on. Such a squirt still!
Weight: 22.6 pounds with a diaper on. Such a squirt still!
No comments:
Post a Comment