Pages

Verse A Day

Monday, July 13, 2015

Our first broken bone.

Wednesday morning, July 1, Bronx took a tumble down the bottle 4-6 steps going to our basement.  I was upstairs vacuuming, so saw him sliding down the stairs on his tummy like he always does.  He was carrying a Ninja Turtle sword with him and the next thing I knew I saw him falling.  I didn't think much of it and probably said my usual 'Your ok buddy.  Be tough!'  He did climb up the stairs to me, but was crying and holding his left arm.  The next 20 min. he was very snuggly, crying off and on, and drifting off to sleep in my arms.  I first thought it could be a concussion, because I knew what to watch for symptoms.  Brigham's fall off the kitchen chair when he was almost 2 taught me that!  Bronx had woken up at 6 AM that morning, so I knew he was overly tired too, so it was hard to know what his sleepiness was from.  He ended up perking up a bit, but still really winced and cried about his arm.  About an hour after his fall, I had a call into our pediatrician's office.  Our regular doctor didn't have any openings, but there was another doctor able to see him right away, so off we went.  I had done my own exam on his arm at home, and told them it seemed to be more near his wrist that was hurting him.   He could bend his arm, lift and lower it, but when he went to grab something (his sippy cup, paci or toy) or use his arm to pull up on the couch it made him cry.  They didn't think it was broken, so told me to watch it for a few days.  That whole day he just wasn't himself.  He maybe used his left arm about 5-10%.  He slept normal all night, but woke up the next morning still holding his arm and saying 'owie' so I called the clinic back.  Dr. McKercher, our regular doctor, ordered an xray right away.  Bronx cried pretty hard for the xray's, which didn't hurt him at all, just a little scary.  I bribed him with candy, and then he sat great.  It only took Dr. McKercher a quick glance at the images to see the fracture.  It was right in his little forearm, so pretty close to the wrist.  They referred me to Sanford Orthopedic's.  I wasn't sure how long the appointment would take, or what would all be done, so dropped Boston & Brigham off with the Elgersma's.  So thankful for friends who live close by!  Bronx's appointment at Orthopedics was quick!  The doctor showed me the xray's, told me kids this little heal very quick, and that after a few weeks with a little brace on his arm he'll be good as new!

Bronx shortly after his fall down the steps.  
 Afternoon nap.  He didn't sleep the best in his crib and 
even dozed off again on the couch which isn't like him.
The hilite of the day was getting our new patio table!  Love the fire pit!

Thursday, July 2.
Waiting for Bronx's xray's.
 Waiting at Sanford Orthopedics.  He was pretty smiley for having a fractured arm!
 The doctor appointments were right over lunch, so Bronx got to snack on some blueberries.  
His favorite!
 All braced up & so sleepy.

 His brothers felt so bad for him!
 He napped great & didn't seem to be bothered by the brace.  I think it feels better with it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...