Pages

Verse A Day

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Someday..

I normally order Boston new books from the Scholastic order forms that get sent home with him from Preschool! It's always fun to read new stories at bedtime! On Tuesday, Boston brought home the newest 3 books we had ordered. One of the books is titled "Someday". When I read the brief description on the order form, I just couldn't resist. It sounded like one of those "heart to heart" books...from a mother to her child. I immediately grabbed it out of Boston's school bag and started to read it as we were driving. (I know!! It sounds horribly dangerous, but I promise I was watching the road!) The next thing you know, i'm crying in the car and Boston is wondering what on earth is wrong with me! It's such a short story so I wanted to share it with all of you...as I know I have many mother friends who follow my blog, and who will understand the tears..

Someday
Alison McGhee and Peter Reynolds

One day I counted your fingers and kissed each one.
One day the first snowflakes fell, and I held you up and watched them melt on your baby skin.
One day we crossed the street and you held my hand tight.
Then, you were my baby, and now you are my child.
Sometimes when you sleep, I watch you dream, and I dream too...
That someday you will dive into teh cool, clear water of a lake.
Someday you will walk into a deep wood.
Someday your eyes will be filled with joy so deep that they shine.
Someday you will run so fast and so far your heart will feel like fire.
Someday you will swing high- so high, higher than you ever dared to swing.
Someday you will hear something so sad that you will fold up with sorrow.
Someday you will call a song to the wind, and the wind will carry your song away.
Someday I will stand on this porch and watch your arms waving to me until I no longer see you. (driving off to college...)
Someday you will look at this house and wonder how something that feels so big can look so small.
Someday you will feel a small weight on your back. (the child is grown up and carrying his own child)
Someday I will watch you brushing your childs hair.
Someday, a long time from now, your own hair will glow silver in the sun.
And when that day comes, love, you will remember me. (a photo frame sits with a picture of the mother who has passed on, and her child as an infant..)

My baby is going to be 4 in a few months...and it seems like just yesterday I was driving him around in the car trying to get him to stop crying! ( he was colicky) Time goes so fast, and I am reminded every day how precious life is..how precious Boston is and how much JOY he brings to my life and to many other people's lives. Hold your little ones tight, and take the time to enjoy each day!! Good night friends...i'm off to read a bed time story to my son!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Jamie! Sounds like a fabulous book. I'm going to be on the lookout for it in book orders now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a nice book! those are definitely the ones I would be crying at as well. I know..Boston is about to be 3, which means before that Jeremiah will already be 1! crazy how fast the time goes!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...