Well, it's been a frustrating few weeks of being pregnant but i'm trying to stay positive as my troubles could be so much worse. I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes around my 28 week appointment so was referred to the Avera Diabetes Clinic for further education. Derek went with me to the 2 1/2 hour appointment last Thursday afternoon. I was given a blood sugar meter and have been checking my blood sugar 4 times a day with a finger poke. We were given a lot of information about GD and met with a dietician about what foods to eat/not eat to help level out my numbers. My diet is actually fine, and none of my favorite things were taken away from me, but believe it or not, I don't eat often enough! I have never been a big breakfast eater and could normally go from supper or a bed time snack until 12 or 1 the next day without eating anything. I guess the coffee I drink each morning just isn't enough :) I've now been forcing myself to eat 6 different times a day. It's been going ok, and all of my numbers are below where they should be except for my very first # of the day, prior to eating anything. I need to be between 60-90 in the morning's and my numbers have been 94, 92, 91 and finally today it was 84! I've been switching up my bed time snack trying to find the perfect foods so that my #'s would be where they needed to be. Last night I had some beef jerkey and a cheese stick (i need the protein) and that seemed to do the trick! We'll try it again tonight and see if I can get below 90 two days in a row!
I had my 30 week appointment with Dr. Scott today and everything is looking good. At my 28 week appointment I was measuring 2 weeks ahead, but today I measure right at 30 weeks so i'm back on schedule. I am down 4 pounds since my appointment 2 weeks ago but Dr Scott didn't seem concerned at all. I was curious to know what my weight was at this point when I was pregnant with Boston so the nurse looked back in my chart. I actually weigh 9 pounds less at this point in my pregnancy than I did the first time around. Not that it really means anything but it was fun to compare, and reassure me that i'm not as huge as I feel :) Dr Scott was pleased with my blood sugar #'s so hopefully the whole GD issue is a minor thing and doesn't give me a lot of trouble these last 10 weeks. I will be getting another ultrasound around 36 weeks to meausure the baby more closely. Some women who do not keep their blood sugars under control are more likely to have bigger baby's so they want to measure the baby with an ultrasound to make sure there are no issues there. If they would be concerned about the baby's size a C-section may have to be scheduled. Dr Scott said this is a big "if" so i'm not worrying at this point. I am scheduled to meet with the Diabetes nurse on Friday this week, and then again with Dr Scott in 2 weeks. I will update more about the prgnancy after these appointments!
30 week belly picture!
looking good! :) glad your appointment went well today and things are back on track!
ReplyDelete