Let's start with the good news! Five years ago today Derek and I were first married! Regardless of where our first few years of marriage took us, this 'anniversary' is still a day I feel is worth celebrating and remembering. Derek and I had been discussing lately what date we would technically call our anniversary..but we really never decided so I guess we'll just celebrate both! Derek's response to this: "Most men can't even remember ONE anniversay, how in the world am I going to remember TWO?!"
The second bit of good news.. my appointment today at the Diabetes Clinic went well! My blood sugars are great, and I finally figured out a way to get my first number of the day below their range, which was my only trouble in this whole diagnosis! The nurse looked over my food journal and my numbers are said to me "You are NOT a normal gestational diabetic!" She explained that some of the things I eat (for example an apple and yogurt for breakfast) would make a normal person's blood sugar SKY ROCKET. My blood sugar level after that breakfast was one of my lowest #'s! Also, they normally encourage a fairly good bedtime snack later in the evening so you have a full stomache through the night and don't get hungry. (A few carbs with some protein) Me (the non normal diabetic!) has to eat an early bedtime snack! I still try to eat a carb or two and some protein but I have found that if I eat my snack after 7:30 or 8:00 that my numbers are too high the next morning. Most people don't even eat supper until that time so all of my meals are at goofy times. Breakfast around 7:30, mid-morning snack around 9:30, Lunch about 11, Afternoon snack about 3 and Supper by 5:30 or 6 and bedtime snack eaten before 8. I have also had a few mornings of ketones in my urine, which is another test I have to do each morning. Normally keytones in your urine mean you didn't eat enough carbs the day prior. As the nurse looked at my food journal on the days before my keytone readings I had eaten plenty of carbs, and on the days I didn't get a keytone reading in my urine she would have said it was because I hadn't eaten enough carbs! Sorry this is probably really confusing for some of you...
The nurse just said to keep doing what i've been doing because I have found things that work for me, so that was encouraging. I will continue checking my blood sugar 4 times a day throughout the rest of my pregnancy, regardless of how my #'s look, however I no longer have to meet with them weekly. The nurse will just call me on a weekly basis and get my numbers over the phone. As long as things look good there will be no diet changes, insulin shots or further appointments with the diabetic clinic! WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!
And now for the not so good news for the day... I found out at work today that as of March 1st my hours will be changing. Right now I have a pefect schedule for our family and work Monday thru Friday 8-12. These hours work great because Boston is in school in the morning, and then we have the afternoons at home together. Me and another part time gal in our department are being asked to job share a full time position rather than both working part time schedules that suite us. She also has kids in school and daycare to worry about, so it may be tricky to come up with a schedule that will work for the both of us. We do have the opportunity to try working it out amongst ourselves, but if that doesn't happen they will come up with a schedule for us. We will either go with it, or we will be without a job. It's a lot to think about and i'm just really disappointed because our family's schedule was working out so well. We had also already brainstormed about life with 2 kids and how my work schedule and daycare and Boston's school schedule would work out. Please just say a prayer that my co-worker and I will get something figured out that will work well for the both of us!
Happy weekend blogger friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment