I am very emotional about it. In fact, every time I go to work on this post (it's taken 4 days now) I get so teary eyed that I have to quit. I got Jaxon as a puppy in the spring of 2003. He was my family before I had even met Derek. For almost 9 years he has been a part of my life, and in 4 days, life around the house will be so different.
Jaxon has had numerous health issues over the years, and for the last year or so we really questioned whether it was worth all of the money we were spending. He just wasn't improving, and I felt like I had tried everything. In November, he was at his worst. I had contacted a few rescue centers at that time, and no one was able to take him. Deep inside I was almost relieved, because that meant I could keep him a little longer. Our only option locally was the humane society, and my vet was very honest with me and said they would end up putting him down because of his medical issues. I just couldn't do that. No way.
One night at the supper table in November, Boston and I just broke down crying about Jaxon. Derek felt bad, and told me that if I wanted to spend another couple hundred dollars and have an allergy test done on him, that I had his approval. I went ahead and had the test done. I had such high hopes that this would give us answers, and that we could finally pin point the issues and get him healthy again. The allergy test showed nothing. So disappointing and frustrating. The few things that did show up were so small, that the vet said making a change to his diet probably wouldn't make a difference. I took it upon myself to change his food anyway, treat him for flea's once a month (one of the low marks on his allergy test showed he was allergic to flea bites) and continue bathing him frequently and washing his dog bed & kennel area several times a week. He has made some improvements, but he is still far from 100%.
I told myself I would give it 3 months. I told Derek if he wasn't significantly better, that I continue looking for a new home for him. Last week Monday, I sent an email to a handful of rescue centers again. They either said no, or didn't even reply. One of the replys that I did get said 'No, we are full at this time, but would you mind sending a picture of him?' He must have been ONE cute dog, because she replied a bit later with 'I found Jaxon a foster home!'. I was extremely happy, but also horribly sad.
Jaxon will be given all the medical attention he needs while he is in his foster home. He will be living with a retired lady, who has another dog just like Jaxon. Once he is healthy again, he will be put up for adoption. The person who has been in contact with me said she will gladly email pictures and updates so that I know his progress, so that is sweet.
For the last week now I have tried not to look at the calendar and keep myself busy. If I sit and think about it, I am a mess. I hope this is the best for him. He deserves more health care and attention than we can give him.
It's like he senses that something is up. For the last 2 weeks he has whined by 3AM to get let out of his kennel. He then comes into our bed and cuddles by me.
Brigham is just starting to understand 'Where's the puppy?!' If he's fussy I will say that, and then he goes looking around for the dog. He's even figured out how to let him out of his kennel!
Jaxon has always been a shower/bath dog. If I am showering, he loves to be in the bathroom with me, and if the boys are in the tub he always has to stand over the edge and lick up all the splashed water. I will miss this.
This picture just makes me cry even more. Boston couldn't hold back the tears the other day when we were taking pictures of Jaxon.
Prayers for peace in the next few days are much appreciated. Boston will have a very hard time with this as well. I just hope it's a quick adjustment for all of us, Jaxon included.
No comments:
Post a Comment