Going into this whole process, Derek and I had the mindset that 'if it's meant to be it'll be'. If our house sat on the market for months on end with no bites, we just knew it wasn't our time to sell and we'd stay put. We love our home, and haven't outgrown it, so if it didn't sell and we stayed, it would be fine.
When we got an offer after just having our home for sale for 4 weeks, we were thrilled! It was exciting that it had all worked out just like we had hoped, and that it was indeed God's will for us to move to a new home, and start the next chapter. Well, ever since we heard about this delay I've really struggled with 'Is this God's way of teaching me something?' or 'Does this mean it wasn't 'our time'?'
I've had 90% of our belongings packed up for 3 weeks. We've all been utilizing one bathroom, 4 towels that I wash over and over, very minimal dishes in the kitchen and a few baskets full of toys. I've been using 1 purse, 3 pair of shoes and have had no home decor on my walls or shelves. It's actually been a wonderful break...2 less toilets to scrub and less to dust! The other day as I was washing up the few dishes we are using, it finally hit me. God isn't teaching me patience in all of this (or maybe he is and I am just denying it because I am a very impatient person!), he is teaching me that 'things' around the home are really something we can all live without. There's no need for 3 bathroom linen closets FULL of towels and extra sets of bedding that never get used. That I don't need to swap out my purse every week, just because I get bored with the purple one I am using and I have 9 others to put use to. I can indeed live with one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of flip flops and one pair of slip ons. The boxes and boxes of 'things' that we have packed up really aren't things we need to carry on with life. We've all been getting along just fine living with less. Even the boys have carried on with 50% less toys than normal. Granted, it's taken some adjusting, but we are all surviving. :)
I've known this saying all along..'material things are just things', but actually having to live with less was a true test and wake up call. Thank you God for teaching me a valuable lesson during one of the most stressful times of my life.
Happy Mothers Day & Moving Day!
Just a few pictures of a few sentimental things I will miss about our current home.
Derek started measuring Boston's height on a board in the basement utility room. I'm sad about it staying, but Derek says 'It's just a board. We'll start a new one.'
My lily's. I know they are just flowers, and we can plant more of this exact thing if we want, but I remember the day Derek planted them for me. We were divorced, and it was his Mothers Day present for me. I'll have to drive by the old house in a month so I can see them fully bloomed!
Have you heard the expression "less is more"? I think it is profound thought, but it is hard to get the idea from my mind and heart into action (getting rid of things)-I fully realize I love my stuff TOO much! God is granting you some wonderful insights and you are listening-you go girl!!
ReplyDelete