Pages

Verse A Day

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Kindergartener.

Dear Boston,

Today is a big day, your first day of Kindergarten! 

I remember holding you as a newborn and having people say 'Time goes so fast.  The next thing you know you'll be sending him off to Kindergarten.'  I always thought those comments were crazy.  That was 5-6 years down the road and it seemed like an eternity away.  They were so right. Time has gone fast.  Incredibly fast.  You are a kindergartener now and it seems like just a year ago you were my newborn baby.  Holding you back an extra year for Kindergarten was such a big decision for us. We went back and forth for months, wondering what to do, but in the end we just wanted what was best for you.  Deep inside though, I knew holding off a year was going to give me an extra year to have you at home with me.  Mom loved that idea!

Mom held it together this morning.  I woke up much earlier than the alarm as I was a bit anxious for your big day.  I did however get choked up last night when I was tucking you into bed.  You had taken a shower, picked out your clothes for school, helped me pack your lunch, and I was getting you all tucked in for a good night of sleep.  It all just sort of hit me that you were off to full days of school and how quiet the house would be without you.  You looked at me and said 'Mom, are you crying?'  I tried to keep it together, but the tears trickled down my cheeks.  I explained how proud I was of you, and that I was just having one of those 'mommy moments' about how fast you had grown up.  You just gave me a big hug and we said our goodnights.

This morning, mom woke you up about 7:10.  You love sleeping in, but you popped right up this morning! 
After breakfast we headed outside for pictures! 
Kindergarten 2012-2013
You are such a laid back kid.  You insisted on wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt for your first day of school outfit! Mom didn't even have to take you school clothes shopping and you were perfectly content using your backpack and lunch box from last year. 


It will be neat to see how your answers to these questions change over the years!
 You weren't quite sure what to think of all the kids and parents on the playground, and you stuck real close to dad and I.  I read you the lunch menu for the week and you decided that you wanted to bring your own lunch to school today so we packed up a turkey & cheese sandwhich, some grapes, cheese crackers and a juice box.  The juice box won't happen every day, but today was special :) 
 You said a few times that you were nervous, but once you found your friend Jude you were fine.
 And here you are standing in line, getting ready to head into the school.  I was feeling a bit sad and anxious for you, but when I saw you and Jude giggling, I knew it would be a great first day!
 Off you go.  My Kindergartener.

I found this poem the other day, and it really sums up my thoughts about now as I am sitting here at home with one little boy to take care of instead of two.

I wonder what your doing right now,
And if everyone is treating you kind.
I hope there is a special person,
A nice friend that you can find.

I wonder if the teacher knows
Just how special you are to me.
And if the brightness of your heart
is something she can see.

I wonder if you are thinking about me,
And if you need a hug.
I already miss the sound of your voice
And how you give my leg a tug.

I wonder if you could possibly understand
How hard it is for me to let you grow.
On this day know that my heart breaks,
For this is the first step in letting my baby go.

Mom sure hopes your enjoying your first day of Kindergarten.  I can't wait to pick you up and hear all about it! 

Love you to the moon & back.
Mom 





1 comment:

  1. I saw you all at the playground today. It brought back memories as I brought each of my 3 girls for their first day. Hope Boston has a great day. I had 2 nephews and 1 niece all starting Kindergarten today too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...