The grandchildren & great-grandchildren stood in front of the church and sang In Christ Alone, while Boston and the other little ones sang Jesus Loves Me & God Is Good. 4 of her grandsons spoke at the funeral sharing memories of their grandma. It was incredibly touching. I sat in the pew and cried thinking 'What an amazing woman!' I never had the chance to visit with Jennie and get to know her on my own. Her mind had started to slip several years ago, so many of the times that we saw her she didn't know who we were. They spoke about how there Grandma was never wealthy, and that she never had many material things, but she was rich in the Lord. One of them closed with saying he was so proud to be a part of the Vis family. I am proud to have married into it. After hearing stories of her life, how she set such a great Christian example & how deeply proud her family was to be a part of her life... I couldn't help but think 'I pray that when it's my time to go, my friends and family can say the same things about me'.
Chelsea & Grace made the trip home from Zuni, New Mexico for the funeral. It was great to see them and spend time with them. On our way home from the funeral in Leota, MN on Thursday, we made a stop in Valley Springs. Derek wanted to stop and see his dad's grave site. Always an emotional stop. We all left the cemetary in tears (Brigs was sleeping). Poor B cried all the way back to Sioux Falls about missing his Papa.
Yesterday, Sept. 2, was 3 years since Derek's dad had died. The years have gone so fast, yet it still seems like yesterday. It was so nice that Glady could have all of the kids together as a family this past week, as she mourns the loss of her mother, and we all remember Jerry & the incredible man he was. Friday night we all got together at Glady's for supper. We had ice cream cake in celebration of Grace's 1st Birthday at the end of the month! Saturday morning Glady, Chels & Grace came over for coffee and then the boys and I went to Glady & Les' for lunch and playing!
Brigs learned how to say 'Mam-Ah' and Glady thinks that's pretty special!
Earlier this week he found a picture on our fridge of Mam-ah. He would point and say Mam-ah over and over again. We lowered the picture for him, so now he carries it around the house.. even given her kisses!
He even knows how to say 'Papa'.
Derek has worked the. entire. holiday. weekend. Even though the boys and I have loads of fun & keep plenty busy, I still struggle after 3 years in the car business, spending the long holiday weekends just me & the boys.
I came down with a horrible cold on Thursday so the boys and I have watched several movies, done lots of snuggling on the couch and enjoyed several naps! It's been wonderful and I am finally feeling better.
Last night after Derek got home from work, I took B to the movie Brave! We had been wanting to see it for a long time so it was something we both looked forward to all day!
The boys find new ways to entertain themselves all the time!
'Look mom, no hands!'
I best wrap this up & tackle a few things on my to-do list. I haven't been real productive these past few days but I have enjoyed every single minute of soaking up time with family, remembering loved ones & the blessing that my 3 boys are. I will leave you with these last words.. Jennie Vis had hand written this quote on a piece of paper that was tucked away in the back of her Bible. It has deeply touched my heart.
'Come work for the Lord. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low, but the retirement benefits are out of this world.'
No comments:
Post a Comment