Pages

Verse A Day

Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Sick Little Boy

Thursday night I took Boston to acute care. His glands were SO swollen when i picked him up from my dads at 5:30. I just couldn't believe how big they were. The on call doctor did a strep test, and pricked his finger for some blood and ended up diagnosing it as a viral infection. I was almost thinking it was going to be strep throat but that test came back negative. They didn't prescribe any meds, and just told me to really watch the swelling and to make sure he didn't get a fever during the night. The acute care doctor wanted me to call Boston's pediatrician right away Friday morning to let him know what was going on. Thursday night he seemed ok. He did complain of his throat hurting but he didn't have a fever and he slept ok. Friday morning i did take him to daycare. I called our pediatrican right away at 8:00 and they wanted to see him as soon as i could get there. I left work and off we went to the doctor again. The nurse and our dr. were both in shock of the size of his glands. They asked to take more blood right away to do some more testing. This time they had to take blood from his arms and it was just heartbreaking. Boston cried and cried, and it was so hard not to cuddle him. Instead, the nurses had me laying across him to hold him down while they both had ahold of his arm. Because he was upset and wiggly the blood flow stopped so they had to poke his other arm to finish filling the 2 empty viles. I couldn't believe all the blood they were taking. As soon as they were done he did calm down pretty quickly. He just said "Mommy that was so scary". Little did he know i was just as scared. We wandered around the drug store while we waited for the blood work to be done. I bought Boston a Bumble Bee Transformer so he thought that was cool! Boston's pediatrician ended up diagnosing him with Mono. On top of the extremely swollen glands, his throat was also red, and his spleen was a bit enlarged. They did give him an antibiotic but i think that is more for the infection in his glands. I believe Mono is just one of those illnesses that just runs its course. They were sending the blood out for further testing and we should hear more on that tomorrow. Dr. McKercher will be calling with the results, and we'll also be going back to the doctor for a follow up. He has done ok this weekend. The one side with the worst swelling has not gotten larger, but it's not gotten any smaller either. And the one side that wasnt as swollen has gotten bigger. He is running a fever this afternoon, so we are for sure keeping him home from daycare on Monday again. Luckily he has a grandpa who is retired so Boston will be hanging out with Papa Jerry for the day. I'm guessing Boston's doctor will want to see him again tomorrow, especially since the swelling hasn't gotten down over the weekend. I'll be sure and keep everyone updated. Friday night he stayed at his dads, but came back home yesterday afternoon. He napped really well yesterday afternoon but didn't get to sleep until 3 AM this morning. He just couldn't get comfortable. His nose is stuffed up and because his glands are so enlarged it was hard for him to breathe through his mouth. He kept snorting, and waking himself up. He did sleep in until about 11AM today. It's just so hard seeming him sick and being so helpless. His spirits are good though again today so that's reassuring!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...