Pages

Verse A Day

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

38 Week Appointment

Today I had my 38 week appointment (38 weeks,2 days to be exact!).  I haven't gained any weight in a few weeks, and i'm still measuring at 35 weeks.  She said me not growing could be a number of things 1) just a small baby (Boston was only 6 pounds, 11 oz at almost 40 weeks)  2) sometimes when the baby is real low they sort of get into their "comfy place" and there isn't a lot of growth in the last few weeks 3) I haven't felt all that well in a week.  I am queezy on and off, have had headaches and haven't slept well.  I could be fighting off a bug/cold.  Basically, the baby is checking out fine so unless I get other symptoms that are alarming, or I notice less movements with the baby, we are good to go until next week. 

The baby's heart rate was quite high (in the 180's) so I was hooked up to the monitor for 20 minutes to monitor the baby.  Everything ended up checking out ok.  I was having some contrations during the monitoring and that caused the baby's heart rate to increase but that is normal.  When I wasn't having a contraction and the baby wasn't moving around, the heart rate was normal. 

Because I haven't felt all that well I really haven't had much of an appetite some days.  This has my blood sugars all messed up but because I am so close to the end of the pregnancy they aren't going to adjust anything.  So all of the above.. and the fact that the baby's head is about falling out of me..(imagine a bowling ball between your legs!)  Dr. Scott went ahead and stripped my membranes today.  Some times this will help bring on labor (if the body/baby are ready) and other times it can do nothing.  I'm really hoping it jump starts things and that I can go into labor on my own.  If the baby hasn't made it's arrival by next week, I check into Avera on the 23rd at 6 AM to be induced. One plus to being induced is that I would be at the hospital if labor progresses as quickly as the doctor is expecting, due to the baby's position already.   She said a few pushes is all it could take!  With my luck it would go that fast and I would end up delivering in the elevator at the hospital or get to the hospital too late and would miss out on the fun drugs! 

Having my membranes stripped was a breeze.  My exams have been quite painful anway because the baby's head is literally...right there.. so I didn't even know that she was doing anything different.  All of the normal things after having this done (contractions, spotting, ect) have happened today, but still no regular or painful contractions, so still waiting!  I know people who have gone into labor that same day or the next day, and others who had their membranes stripped twice and still nothing! 

So anyway that is my pregnancy update!  Either way, we will be a family of 4 in a week!  And since we are so close to the end... here's a baby hint..the name will start with a...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...