Pages

Verse A Day

Monday, March 28, 2011

Brigham Jigs Gerdes

It's a...
And Dad, Mom and Big Brother are so excited!!


On Wednesday, March 23rd, at 5:18 PM, Brigham Jigs Gerdes entered the world.  Words cannot express how much of a blessing this little boy is to our family! He is absolutely adorable and a very precious gift from God!  It still just seems so unreal that this little miracle is here and in our arms and our family.  That 9 months goes so slow yet so fast, if that makes any sense..  Here are some pictures of our newest addition and some information about his 'birthday'!

I checked into Avera around 11:00 for an induction.  We were scheduled for a 6 AM check in but got a call when we were 10 seconds out of our driveway that they were on baby/labor over load and we had to postpone until mid-late morning.  I was so disappointed.  I had been up since 4, had showered, eaten breakfast and was anxious to meet this baby.  Derek and I did manage to rest awhile and at 10:00 we got the call a room was waiting for us!  By the time we got registered and into a room and got things rolling with the IV it was about 12:00.  After the pitocin had started I was still only dilated to a 2, which was what I was dilated to at about 37 weeks.  At first I was thinking... "oh wow this is going to move slow!".  Even only being dilated to a 2, with the pitocin running, the contractions were quite painful and I had asked for the epidural.  Dr. Scott broke my water and within a short amount of time I was dilated to a 5!  They called the delivery team and equipment was brought into the room for when it was time to deliver the baby. The epidural was quite the experience this time around.  I ended up having to get the epidural twice because the first one was only affecting the right side of my body.  Good thing I asked for the epidural when I did because it took awhile for it to all take affect and within 30 minutes of it being in full effect I was dilated to a 10 and ready to deliver Baby Gerdes!  The nurses hadn't checked me for awhile so I asked when I would be checked again.  She said they would check me after me or the baby were showing signs of being ready.  She asked if I wanted to be checked out of curiosity and I said yes.  Good THING!!!  I was dilated to a 10 and within minutes the delivery crew and doctor came in to get the show on the road!  2 contractions later and about 2 good pushes and that little boy was in my arms!  I couldn't believe how fast it went.  Derek called my dad shortly after 5 to tell him the baby would be here within the hour.  They had Boston with them and we wanted to have Boston brought up to the hospital soon after the baby was born.  8 minutes later Derek called my dad back to tell him Brigham had arrived!   

Brigham making his entrance!  My doctor had me grab Brigham when he was 1/2 out so I actually got to deliver him the rest of the way and pull him to my chest.  It was so awesome!  
 My first words were "he is so cute and sooo tiny" and I remember commenting that I thought he looked just like Boston! 
Brigham weighed a few ounces less than Boston but their "recorded birth weights" 6 pounds, 11 oz. is the same!  We have a picture of Boston almost identical to this, and it's very hard to tell the 2 babies apart!


My dad, Boston and Grandma Lisa arrived shortly after Brigham was born.  Boston wasn't quite sure what to think but he was excited!  He did ask me though how come the baby wasn't a girl named Cherry!  The hospital stay went so well.  I absolutely love Dr. Scott and the staff at Avera is always so sweet. I was a bit sore for a few days but am feeling 100% better now.  Brigham is nursing well and I finally feel like i'm getting the hang of the breast feeding stuff!  (and just as I type this i'm doubting myself again)..  Boston would never 'latch on' so I pumped and bottle fed him.  I know Brigham is getting plenty to eat because he poops about every 2 hours :) We had lots of family and friends visit in the hospital and have been spoiled with such nice gifts, even for Boston!  Today was Derek's first day back to work and the day went well.  I'm sure after a few more days we'll be into a new grove although i'll probably be sleep deprived here and there.  That's all for now blogger friends.  I will give updates as time allows! Here are some pictures.. ENJOY!

I can't put into words how special this picture is.  Who would have thought..after the road Derek and I have been on..that we would be happily re-married and welcoming another precious baby into our family.  I am Blessed more than I ever imagined. 
 Proud Big Brother giving Brigham more kisses!
 Such a precious little peanut!  We had his check up today with his pediatrician.  He weighs 6 pounds, 9 ounces, so on his way back up to his birth weight! 
And finally, a peak at the nursery!  The middle frame will have a newborn picture of Brigham in it.  My friend Tracy is taking them tomorrow!!


 'Before I formed in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart' 
Jeremiah 1:5  We still need to add some more decor to this wall!







2 comments:

  1. Cute room! Boston looks like such a proud big brother! Glad it went fast for you-let me know if you ever need a break some evening/weekend and Boston is more than welcome to come over and play with the girls for a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...