Pages

Verse A Day

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Broccoli, Grape & Pasta Salad

I always volunteer to bring a salad when their is a family gathering because I have mastered a few that everyone seem to love.  This year though I figured it was about time I change it up.  It's usually a given that I am either bringing Broccoli Salad or 7 Layer Salad, and I didn't want everyone getting bored with my food!  I found this Broccoli, Grape & Pasta Salad recipe on Pinterest.  It said 'If you're a broccoli salad fan, you'll love the combination of these colorful ingredients,' so I gave it a whirl!

Broccoli, Grape & Pasta Salad-courtesy of Pinterest
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 (16-oz.) package bow-tie pasta
  • 1 pound fresh broccoli
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup diced red onion
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
  • 8 cooked bacon slices, crumbled
Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.  Prepare pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, cut broccoli florets from stems, and separate florets into small pieces using tip of a paring knife. Peel away tough outer layer of stems, and finely chop stems.  Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add broccoli, hot cooked pasta, and grapes, and stir to coat. Cover and chill 3 hours. Stir bacon and pecans into salad just before serving.

It was definitely a nice change, but when I make it again I am going to double the 'sauce' as it seemed a bit dry.  Very tasty, but as my cousin Nick said 'I would pick the regular Broccoli Salad over this one'.  Sorry I don't have my own picture to share, but if you click on the link you'll see a picture of the salad ready to serve! 

Last week I also tried this Cheddar Beer Chicken recipe that I also found on Pinterest.  I saw the word 'beer' and assumed it would be super delicious.  :)  It was edible, but it was not a favorite for anyone in the family, so it's not officially making the blog.  It reminded me of a stew, but with chicken instead of beef. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...