Pages

Verse A Day

Monday, January 9, 2012

What is going on in my heart?

It was a crazy week.  We have had lots going on.  Just normal life stuff, but normal life is busy! 

It's hard to explain what's going on in my heart these days because at times, I am even questioning my own thoughts, so I will try and explain it the best I can.  To be honest, I have had this blog typed up for days but have been leery of posting it.  I always worry so much about what other people will think of me, and truly feel that some of you reading this will think 'That girl is losing it'.  I told myself from the get-go, that this blog was for me to journal about our life, my real thoughts and feelings, so here you have it. 

It all started on Tuesday afternoon.  My dad brought me his week old Moody County Enterprise (our home town area newspaper).  I gave him a year subscription as a Christmas gift this year with a stipulation that he save all the papers and let me read them too.  Genius, I know.  Who doesn't love catching up on the happenings in their home town?!  Anyway, so it was nap time and the little ones were sleeping and the older ones were having some quiet time, so I had a good 20 minutes to devote to reading the paper.   There it was.  The front page articled that first caught my eye. 


So here is a little history.  I grew up going to the Colman Lutheran Church.  It was the only church I ever knew until I met Derek and started attending our current church, First Christian Reformed.  Over the years, after I had moved away from Colman, I would go back to that Lutheran church for funerals, weddings, or a baptism.  I always left the service thinking how sad it was that so many pews sat empty, that the offering total was maybe a few hundred dollars, and that only a handful of people actually had their hymnals open to sing along with the organist playing songs to worship our God.  I was sad to see the church that I grew up in struggling.

I love our church in Sioux Falls.  We have an incredible pastor, the music is amazing, and I always leave feeling like I have a renewed hope and greater love for the Lord.  After attending a service in Colman, I just felt so bad for all of those people missing out on a worship service like I am so blessed to attend.  Don't get me wrong, not everyone needs or loves an upbeat worship band jamming out at the front of the church, and many I am sure, walk away with something from the sermon given, but it was hard for me.  I just wasn't feeling it.  

Ever since I read this article I have felt something in my heart.. I have spent hours thinking about this church, reading their website online, facebook page and even the pastors blog.  I don't know of any friends that attend The Rescue church, but something has sparked a fire in my heart about helping get this church renovated and ready for the first service in late February.  For days I talked about this church with Derek and some of my close friends, and shared with them what I was feeling.   I thought maybe after a day or two the desire to help would fade, or the excitement I was experiencing would pass, but it hasn't. 

I did it.  I emailed the pastor a few days.  I told him how I felt it had been laid on my heart to reach out and help in whatever way I could.  I am not looking for a new church, but I want my home town to have a church that's ALIVE!  I pray that my friends and family that are still living in Colman, and have gotten away from church over the years, will check it out.  This Saturday, at 9 AM, I will be in Colman painting in the church with other volunteers, and I am extremely excited! 

Thank you God, for working in me.  Amen.

P.S. It's January 9th & I am right on schedule with my 'Read The Bible' in a year planner :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh Jamie I love it! I'm praying for His presence to minister and awaken the city! Nothing is impossible with God! Grace and blessings to you guys!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Jamie. Good for you for acting on your desire to serve...so proud of you! I'm learning a lot from you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie that's a beautiful post! I don't think you are losing it! I think it's awesome that you shared this :D I will pray for your home town and the efforts of the church!! You're very inspiring!
    -Katie :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie,

    I know it was a long time ago when you were a student of mine, but once a teacher always a teacher. I hope its appropriate to say that IA am so proud of you. There were times when I proyed for each of my students. I see in you that god answers prayer. I love hearing about your faith and your obedience to the one who has saved you. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you all so much for all the encouraging comments! @ Mr. Rogness: So good to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to read & comment! Have a great 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...